Thursday, May 24, 2012

Master Bedroom: The Before and After

Although any room decorating is never finished, I have completed most of the projects for my 'operation:Master Bedroom'.  You can check back at my inspiration and then plan for this space. 

So lets take a look at what I started with:


Not bad really.  Other than no headboard and a duvet cover that is 20" smaller that the actual duvet so bunches everywhere and doesn't adequately cover when sleeping, thus many cover wars.

A quick refresher of the plan:


And the real deal:


No the transformation did not happen overnight.  Or over a weekend.  In fact I have been working on this for over a month.  This biggest job was stripping and refinishing the furniture - not only the two nightstands you see in this picture but also a large armoire.  Then making the headboard and upholstered base, sewing the duvet cover and bolster, and redoing the lamps and shades. Yup - all DIY.   



The view from the ensuite:


I really like how the natural stump stools tye in with the new headboard.


The updated end tables work great with the headboard thanks to my inspirational kitchen photo.


A close-up of the textures I used in the bedding.


The small touch of the wood buttons also helps bring things together for me.


And the lamps got a paint job and a new shade.


Of course I'll be back with all the DIY details.

Building a timber headboard and upholstered bed.
What I learned about stripping furniture.
Painting the lamps and DIY wood shades.
Sewing a bolster cushion from a throw blanket.
Sewing your own duvet cover and shams.


One more peak since I love our new room SO much.


Of course it could use some window coverings and a sitting area still.  I'll be waiting for inspiration and funds before I do any more in here.  For now I'll just enjoy all that hard work.

What do you think?


14 comments:

  1. Your bedroom looks fantastic. I love the warm wood headboard against the gray and all the other touches of wood carried throughout the room. I can't believe you did all that in a month. Well done. I'm just starting mine, but i"m having a hard time finding the time to get it painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is gorgeous! You are do talented! I can't wait to hear how you diy'd the duvet and lampshades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's super super cute! I love it! Your pictures really make things pop too.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love it. Wow on the photography, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your headboard! It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow what a gorgeous bedroom! Love all the gray, and LOVE that headboard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning!!! I LOVE the grey + raw wood combo! And that York headboard, I am SO in love! I can't wait to see the DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I'm so impressed. Count me as your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You master is really cool! I can't wait for the tutorials ... especially those lamps. Amazing! And, seriously, did you really, really make that headboard? I'm awestruck!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great material and space of the headboard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy canoli! This is beautiful! I love it : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, how this little accent of wood stands out in the grey. What a combination! I would never have thought of it and it is great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. True, your bedroom transformation is absolutely great since you were able to achieve a modern look especially with that elegant grey theme. And aside from mattresses, comforters can add a more cosy feel so good job for grabbing that nice grey comforter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks incredible. I love the warmth of the timber against the grey walls! xx

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete