Thursday, November 3, 2011

Faux Brick Wall Tutorial

I really did not mean to keep everyone in suspense after I revealed in yesterday's post the faux brick wall I created in my craft room.  I simply wanted to link up with the Pinterest challenge and did not have the time to add the whole tutorial due to other commitments.  SORRY!


Without further ado, here are the details on how to create your own 'brick' wall.

I picked up from Home Depot a roll of this SuperFresco Paintable Wallpaper.  There are various textures to choose from.  The one I chose just has a simple line texture.  The wallpaper cost $21.95 and there are no other wallpaper supplies needed for this project.  No fancy prepping adhesive, no special tray, and no trowel.


Then I cut up the wallpaper into 'bricks' using my Olfa fabric cutting system.  The size I chose for my brick was simply just for practicality reasons so you can make the 'brick' whatever works for you. 

 I chose 6" by 2 1/4" simply because my ruler was 6" wide and 2 1/4" left very little waste.


Then right over top of my previous stencil I drew out my grid lines for laying my 'brick'.  I decided to have 1/4" 'grout' lines so that meant adding 1/4" to each dimension.  My lines were drawn for 6 1/4" and 2 1/2" rectangles.


To wet my bricks I simply used a plastic container big enough to fit the 'brick' in, filled with water.


Then simply dip the 'brick'.

 

And stick it to the wall in the upper right corner of your lines.


The best part about this is that you can rework, and fudge the placement as you go along because the strips do not dry immediately.  Just make sure to press down the whole 'brick' to get a good bond.  Especially the edges.  I just used my finger for this.


To get a perfect fit at the edge just simply dry fit the 'brick' in place and crease it with your finger.


Then simply cut off the excess. 


Here is a picture of something I never counted on.  I quite liked the look of the 'brick' with dark 'grout' lines. 


However, upon close inspection you can see light and dark spots from my stencil.  If you like this look, simply paint the wall in the desired 'grout' color before adding your 'bricks'.  Then I think I would finish it it a glossy clear coat just to make all the texture stand out.


Anyhow, since I wasn't about to remove all the bricks, paint, and reapply I carried on with my original idea.  I wanted some of the dark wall to show through to make it more of an aged 'brick' look.  I simply took my paint (Benjamin Moore's Timid White in a gloss finish), and dry brushed the entire wall.  Simply dip the brush,


Wipe off the paint lightly,


And starting in the middle of the 'brick', lightly paint over the bricks.  Because the bricks have some depth to them not as much paint falls into the 'grout' lines.


The completed wall.


And a close up of the texture.


I did up a quick sample board for those who want the pure clean 'bricks' just to show that this works as well.  I think the trick for this look is to make sure to use a glossy paint so that all that beautiful texture shines.


And here is my new light and bright space now that I painted the remaining walls with the same Benjamin Moore color Timid White.




And a quick BEFORE.


AFTER.


So tell me.  Which of the three 'brick' looks would you choose?  Dark grout, aged brick, or clean white?



48 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! I want to do this on the dinning room wall!
    Thanks a bunch for this tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this. It makes the room so much brighter and gives it such character. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, that is amazing! How incredible are you to think of this?! And the rest of the room looks fabulous! I bet you love your new space! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment on my Nightstand Makeover!

    I love your project. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, that is awesome! I have a faux fireplace I want to use for Christmas and have been trying to figure out what to put behind it. I am pinning this so I remember! Thanks so so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is cool. Never thought about this. Please come to my first linky party at:
    www.mun-emakingblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks really REAL and fantastic. I liked the grout both dark and painted and I'm a little sad you covered that gorgeous stencil. But...the brick is a great change if you were ready for something different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello awesome!!! This is fantastic. I want to try this now!
    I'd love for you to link up to Fresh Friday Link Party on my blog!
    http://www.releasemecreations.com/2011/11/fresh-fridays-link-party-2-on-release.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your new brick wall. So textural and interesting and inexpensive and clever. Kudos on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks amazing! Great job! So glad you linked up with us and can't wait to see what you link up this week!

    Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! I love how that turned out! I found your blog from chic on a shoestring party. I'm your newest follower. If you get a moment, I'd love you to stop by my blog & maybe follow along too!
    Sally
    loveofhomes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is incredibly awesome! What a cool project, especially when it turns out so amazing looking! You never cease to amaze, Miss Marci!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another great project. I like how much it lightens up your craft room. I think I like the way you did it the best. The dark grout lines are nice too, but a little retro, so my vote is for the white-washed look.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the lattice design before you did the brick (love the brick too). How did you do this design? Thank you for your getting blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this is fabulous!!!
    thanks so much for the 'how to'!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wow factor! Thanks for the tutorial, looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did the wallpaper come in any other colors such as a brick red? Was thinking it would let you do a more traditional brick color. What about a gray or sandy brown color to create a rock look?

    ReplyDelete
  18. jmlittle - The wall paper only comes in a primed white but is paintable so you can paint it whatever color you wish. I just helped a friend do a wall in her baby's room and she painted it a dark grey and it looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can see you DO love texture!! what a fun tutorial. Check out the american clay....I think you would love it. Your master bedroom is beautiful too. Wonderful blog! Thanks for your comment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I discovered this post via a comment (referencing it) left on LittleGreenNotebook. Anyway, I love it and am super impressed with your ability to think this up! Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing lighting and color combination.. This is incredibly awesome!.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you SO much! Beautiful! This the very tutorial I was looking for. There is a small wall in my kitchen that has been screaming to have whitewashed brick for 6 years. I have the most perfect pads of textured scrapbook paper for the bricks. I am aware this will make my project a little more labor intensive...I'm thinking of wallpaper paste in a container, scraping off, placing on wall, touching up with damp rag. I'm anticipating any unplanned "mess" as adding to the authenticity of the faux brick look.Having done much decoupage, I see it as a larger more challenging project. I am so ready to do this! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now, if only I could do it myself like I used to.....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Been looking to do something like this myself but didn't know where to start... now I can see it works perfectly! Thanks for your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so cool! Love the look of it! Definitely something to try...are the 'bricks' easily removable? Or could it damage the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the tute! I did this to my backsplash area and I lurve it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVE your brick wall and I LOVE you for this tutorial, this is what I have been looking for all day. Did they have the actual 'Super fresco brick wallpaper' when you were there? Is there a reason you opted to make your own bricks? Not sure which to buy :D thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a truly fantastic idea. I actually have some of this wallpaper so I am now trying to figure out where I could but some brick. Love the tutorial, you instructions were simple and easy to understand.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  29. Bravo! I commend you. A truly unique and great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow very ingenious, love it

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi, I really consider this is an admirable blog. I truly love the way of posting. brick wallpaper

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good to become visiting your weblog again, it has been months for me. Nicely this article that i've been waited for so long. I will need this post to total my assignment in the college, and it has exact same topic together with your write-up. Thanks, good share. tappezzerie per pareti

    ReplyDelete