Back in September I found a solution to this problem but when I presented it to my man his response was, "yah, that would probably be a good one for the winter project list." In other words, looks good but I'm not interested in helping you with any more of your little projects for quite a while.
Not being daunted by his less than enthusiastic response I started gathering the wood for this project. All the rustic, weather worn boards came from my neighbours burn pile. I dragged all the pieces out of his hazardous pile of garbage into our garage to dry. Then slowly over time I sanded down every side of each piece collected with 60 grit sandpaper and my handy rigid palm sander. I think my man finally got the idea that I was moving forward on this project whether I had his help or not.
The opening for my craft room is 6ft wide by 8 ft high. We opted to break it into two 3ft doors. Using 3/4 inch plywood left over from one of his job sites we created 2 doors to use as backing since the wood I had collected was weak and not perfectly straight. We (as in him) also cut four 4 inch pieces of the 3/4 inch plywood to use as filler pieces on each side as we did not have quite enough rustic wood.
We layed out the rustic wood and nailed it to the plywood.
Yup, some pieces were not even long enough but with the style of door I chose it would be covered up anyway.
Next up was the top and bottom panel cut the same width of the door to cover up all those gaps.
And the side pieces to cover up our plywood filler pieces.
The center cross bar and the 'x'.
We layed the wood out and used a framers square to figure out the angle needed to form our 'x'.
And two completed doors ready for finishing.
I used two coats of minwax dark walnut followed by two coats of polyurethance for the rustic wood. The plywood I painted with Behr's Bitter Chocolate paint and primer in one.
My man picked up the barn door hardware from our local farm and ranch store 'Peavey Mart' for $130. Each supporting bracket is screwed into a stud. Very important as these doors are very heavy.
We attached the rollers to the backside of our doors but they can be attached to either side depending on the look you want.
Then slid the doors onto the rails.
And when I actually have my craft room clean they are great decoration for this long wall.
OFF LIMITS KIDS!
And a close up of how the Bitter Chocolate matches with the Dark Walnut.
And the backside of the doors just in case for some reason you wanted to close yourself into my tiny craft room. I myself never plan to see this side of the doors.
And a close up of the rollers on the rail.
Linking To: Simply Creation, Frugalicious Friday, Remodelaholic's Anonymous, Flaunt it Friday, Show and Share, Tickled Pink, Free For All Fridays